What’s next for Civil War Cycling? Our guidebook, Bicycling Chickamauga Battlefield, is on-track for publication for the 2021 cycling season. Chickamauga battlefield is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, less than ten miles from Chattanooga, Tennessee. Along the banks of Chickamauga Creek on September 19–20, 1863, nearly 35,000 Americans were casualties of this second-deadliest multi-day battle in the U.S. Civil War. (The first was Gettysburg. Antietam was the deadliest single day of fighting.) The National Park Service summarizes this very complicated battle, here.
Coming in 2021: Bicycling Chickamauga Battlefield …
This third in a series of Civil War travel guides, Bicycling Chickamauga Battlefield will be a paperback guidebook. Like the previous books in the series, an optional set of digital maps in PDF format will be available for download and printing.
Coming in 2022: Bicycling Shiloh National Military Park …
You might want to combine bicycling Chickamauga battlefield with a road-trip to Shiloh National Military Park. Although each park is large enough for a great learning and riding experience, if you do not live near Tennessee, you might want to combine these two tours into one long cycling vacation.
Guidebook & Map Publication Schedule
- Bicycling Gettysburg National Military Park – Digital Document Maps, Oct 2018. Guidebook, March 2019.
- Bicycling Antietam National Battlefield – Digital Document Maps, May 2020. Guidebook, November 2020.
- Maps to Bike Gettysburg No. 2: Battle Day 1 Loop – Mini-guidebook, June 2021.
- Maps to Bike Gettysburg No. 3b: Battle Days 2 & 3 Loop – Mini-guidebook, May 2021.
- Maps to Bike Gettysburg No. 5: The Ridges Extended Loop – Mini-guidebook, March 2021.
- Bicycling Chickamauga Battlefield – Digital Document Maps and Guidebook, November 2021.
- Bicycling Shiloh National Military Park – Digital Document Maps and Guidebook, 2022.
- Bicycling Vicksburg National Military Park – TBD
Web Content Development
The Civil War Cycling website also publishes free web content about touring U.S. national military parks. Our emphasis is on learning history on two wheels. The following national parks are most amenable to cyclists.
- Gettysburg National Military Park @NPS (PA) – 2017–present. CWC Home Base.
- Antietam National Battlefield @NPS (MD) – 2020–present. CWC Home Base.
- Chickamauga/Chattanooga National Military Park @NPS (GA, TN) – 2021
- Shiloh National Battlefield @NPS (TN) – 2022
- Vicksburg National Military Park @NPS (MS) – 2023
The Civil War Cycling Facebook Page is updated every few days with photographs and shares from news sites. Posting frequency is seasonal. Join us here.