What’s next for Civil War Cycling? Bicycling Chickamauga Battlefield is now available for sale at your favorite book store! Or click here to view the listing on our site. The guidebook’s digital companion map is available, here. Both products take you on a 12.6-mile historic tour through Chickamauga battlefield in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, which is about ten miles from Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Along the banks of Chickamauga Creek on September 18–20, 1863, nearly 35,000 Americans were casualties of this second-deadliest multi-day battle in the U.S. Civil War. (The first was Gettysburg. Antietam was the deadliest single day of fighting.) The National Park Service summarizes this very complicated battle, here.
Coming in 2023: Bicycling Shiloh National Military Park …
You might want to combine bicycling Chickamauga battlefield with a road-trip to Shiloh National Military Park. Although each park is large enough for a great learning and riding experience, if you do not live near Tennessee, you combining these two tours into one long cycling vacation makes a lot of sense.
Guidebook & Map Publication Schedule
- Bicycling Gettysburg National Military Park – Digital Document Maps, Oct 2018. Guidebook, March 2019.
- Bicycling Antietam National Battlefield – Digital Document Maps, May 2020. Guidebook, November 2020.
- Bicycling Chickamauga Battlefield – Digital Document Maps, December 2021. Guidebook, December 2021.
- Maps to Bike Gettysburg No. 2: Battle Day 1 Loop – Mini-guidebook, June 2021.
- Maps to Bike Gettysburg No. 3b: Battle Days 2 & 3 Loop – Mini-guidebook, May 2021.
- Maps to Bike Gettysburg No. 5: The Ridges Extended Loop – Mini-guidebook, March 2021.
- Bicycling Shiloh National Military Park – Digital Document Maps and Guidebook, 2023.
- Bicycling Vicksburg National Military Park – TBD
Web Content Development
The Civil War Cycling website also publishes free web content about touring U.S. national military parks. Our emphasis is on learning history on two wheels. The following national parks are most amenable to cyclists.
- Gettysburg National Military Park @NPS (PA) – 2017–present. CWC Home Base.
- Antietam National Battlefield @NPS (MD) – 2020–present. CWC Home Base.
- Chickamauga/Chattanooga National Military Park @NPS (GA, TN) – 2022
- Shiloh National Battlefield @NPS (TN) – 2023
- Vicksburg National Military Park @NPS (MS) – TBD
The Civil War Cycling Facebook Page is updated every few days with photographs and shares from news sites. Posting frequency is seasonal. Join us here.