Landscape Photos of Culp’s Hill, Gettysburg
By the morning of July 2, the Army of the Potomac had established a three-mile-long line. Because of the line’s fishhook shape, the army established a strong defensive position. The fishhook “barb” was anchored at Spangler’s Spring and Culp’s Hill. From here on the Union right flank, the battle line bent to the west around Cemetery Hill. The fishhook “shank” then continued south along Cemetery Ridge to Little Round Top (the “eye”). For help visualizing the Union fishhook formation, please visit the “Gettysburg Animated Map” created by the American Battlefield Trust.
Riding North on Slocum Avenue
While riding up Slocum Avenue, which follows the Union battle line up to the summit, you will find the 1st Maryland, Eastern Shore (USA) Monument, pictured below. The monument was dedicated in 1888.
The fighting on Culp’s Hill occurred on July 2 in the evening and July 3 in the early morning, and Maryland men fought on both sides of the conflict. In fact, about one-third of the 3,000 Marylanders at Gettysburg fought under Gen. Robert E. Lee. For details, click here to view a battle map published by the American Battlefield Trust.
View of Culps Hill from East Cemetery Hill
In the following photo, we see the west face of Culp’s Hill. The monument and cannons in the foreground stand on East Cemetery Hill. They mark the position of Cooper’s Battery (Battery B, 1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery). Note also that the road from the summit to Stevens’ Knoll is Slocum Avenue, and that road meets Wainwright Avenue above the rightmost cannon.
The Base of Culps Hill at Spangler’s Spring
The next photo shows tree-lined Carmen Avenue as it winds past the 13th New Jersey Monument and on to Spangler’s Spring at the base of Culp’s Hill. Near the end of this road, the U.S. War Department in 1895 installed a stone structure to protect this natural spring. The structure has an inscription that reads, “This spring supplied Union and Confederate soldiers with water during the battle,” and also, “One country and one flag. The strife of brothers is past.”
Whereas Spangler’s Spring is at the southern base of the hill, McKnight’s Hill, now known as Stevens’ Knoll, is more to the northwest. Here we see Stevens’ Knoll where Slocum Avenue ends closer to East Cemetery Hill. The monument in the center of the photo is Stevens’ Battery (5th Maine). Also, behind the tree you can see the base of the Slocum Equestrian Monument.
To read Civil War Cycling’s short but very dense summary of Days 2 and 3 of the Battle of Gettysburg, click here for July 2 and click here for July 3.Back to Landscapes